Friday, April 14, 2006

How to Suffer Successfully

A belated comment, it’s true. I feel I must comment on last year’s (2005) Universitary Meeting on Flight Safety that was held at the campus of Pontifical University of Rio Grande do Sul. Pontifical, it’s true, but not so Catholic.

Everyone was there, wearing the same clothes they wear every year at the same occasion, militaries controlling everything, as they like to do, old-fashioned suits, even older-fashioned ties and feather-brained people just repeating what they had just read on a quick reference guide talking on the Flight Safety matters issued some twenty years before. Very current, though.

I must confess, every year I go, and every year I swear I will not return. Yes, but I did. I don’t want do excuse myself for attending one more year, but I believe I attend hoping to see some change, that so far has not come and to be quite straightforward, I doubt it will. What still impresses me is the non-academical basis, whatsoever. Most of what is being presented in the late October’s annual meeting is pretty much the same we heard during the year in non official news. It’s widespread that pilots and aviation professionals are quite gossipy, no wonder we know everything hours before they happen. Joking, of course. So, what is the point of a meeting such that, I wonder?

I wonder as well, who has given the presenters and lecturers the proficiency to talk on those issues, not that I want to sound academical for being one of the few who really think that attending a university is, indeed, going to make me a better pilot in Brazil, in which few attend and fewer are the ones who see some “advantage”.

So, there was I, casually dressed for that year’s annual reading of bad elaborated Power Point presentations and lectures with colours that clash, among those militaries wearing those magnum moustaches of the 80’s, those bathetic and predictable sentences, same old pics, same animations. A reading, indeed. I don’t know why the lecturers are called so, if all they do is read, there’s no debate, no explanation, whatsoever. Should a clever man decides to record the audio and burn it on a CD, he could name it, “Audio Lecture: Perpetual Presentation on Brazilian Flight Safety” the CD could be used forever, and this man would grow rich.

No one raises issues as, why are the militaries involved in a civilian activity of transportation, why are taxes so high, why are government’s IQs so low, how is the decadence of the structure of Brazilian government policies contributing to the risks. Why not?

I bet it’s something Latin. Do not create trouble! Nevermind, let it be. Wait until next year’s annual session of buttocks, breasts and naked women. Let’s wait for the carnival, shall we?

2 comments:

Justin Rankin said...

How come you don't post anymore? Your first aviation article was great...

Thanks,
Justin (Cessna Dude) Renkin

Anonymous said...

I was passing over the Aircraft and Aviation Suppliers, i found this one to be most suitable for everyone...thanks for your post too,,,